The holidays are coming soon! Like next week soon! All of us on health and fitness journeys need to form game plans! Most of us have been working hard all year long, pursuing our goals with passion and persistence. I’m here to help you enjoy the season, without the guilt. What better way to do that than with this gluten free, paleo vanilla cake with chocolate espresso frosting!
This time of year calls for a whole new level of willpower. No holiday weight gain! We didn’t work this hard to give in now. And before anyone starts in with, “Come on, it’s the HOLIDAYS!” Hear me out: I have no problem with some indulgences, but all in moderation. When I can, I stay as healthy as possible so when I want to indulge in something I’ve really been craving there’s no guilt.
Now, if I can find a healthy recipe that hits my cravings and I don’t have to go off my eating plan, all the better. And man! This moist, delicious, cake totally hits the spot!
The espresso in the frosting goes perfectly with the maple syrup used as the sweetener. They both taste rich and a little creamy. Ugh, it’s love.
I added the orange zest to the top originally simply for decoration, but it added a nice little zing to it that I really appreciated. So if you want add it on top too!
I kept the chocolate powder on the lighter side for the frosting, so feel free to add more if you want it really rich! If it starts to get a little thick add in a tad more almond milk. And play with the amount of espresso powder as well! It’s fun to experiment until you find “your perfect” version of the recipe.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1/4 tsp. seat salt
- 1/2 ghee or butter
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- For the frosting:
- 1/4 cup ghee or butter
- 3 Tbsp. almond milk
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. instant espresso powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Grease a 9" pan, set aside
- Combine dry ingredients and mix. Set aside.
- Cream together softened butter, 1/4 cup honey, and 1/2 cup maple syrup. Beat for 1 minute.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix. Add in almond milk and mix well.
- Add almond flour mixture into butter mixture and beat until creamy.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on baking rack.
- While cake is cooling prepare frosting
- Whip softened butter in medium bowl for 1 to 2 minutes until creamy. Add 3 Tbsp almond milk to butter, beat until blended. Slowly add in cocoa and espresso powder. Beat in honey and vanilla. Spread onto cooled cake. Enjoy!
If you try it make sure to let me know what you think in the comments! Or, better yet, tag me on IG if you post a photo of your cake!